Fuel Saving Tips & Defensive Driving
We are well aware companies need to save money wherever possible. When we talk about commercial
vehicles, we all know that they use very large amounts of fuel. In many cases, fuel can be the largest bill that hits your desk. Through being trained to drive with this in mind and reduce gear changes, we can squeeze more miles out of a tank of fuel and decrease costs to the company in fuel expenses and maintenance while, at the same time, being green.
After SAFED Training (a government scheme concerning fuel efficiency)*
- HGV firms saw a 10% improvement in MPG and a 36.9% reduction in gear changes
- Aggregates saw a 12.45% improvement in MPG and a 32% reduction in gear changes
- Bus and Coach firms saw a 12% impr ovement in MPG and a 40% reduction in gear changes
* Figures based on 6100 drivers from the SAFED pilot in the demonstration and transition phases of the program.
Sigma can carry out Fuel Efficiency and Safe and Fuel Efficient Dri ving (SAFED) training:
- Classroom‐based training – Candidates will be taught in a classroom based setting going through how to save fuel and be the most efficient driver.
- Practical training – Sigma can use the driver’s own vehicle. This can be much more beneficial and even offers on‐the‐job training allowing the drivers to continue working for the company and reducing downtime.
What is Defensive Driving?
Defensive Driving is described as driving to save lives, time and money, in spite of the conditions around you
and the actions of others. It is a form of training for drivers that goes beyond the mastery of normal rules of
the road and basic mechanics.
The aim is to reduce the risk of driving by anticipating dangerous situations, despite adverse conditions or
the mistake of others. This can be achieved through the adherence to a variety of general rules, as well as
the practice of specific driving techniques.